Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Parachuting Hearts Smiling As They Fall

So, it has been a while since I did this project. There were a few more encounters that I had during the rainy season. Unfortunately, I cannot remember them all. There is one that sticks out in my mind.

I went to the bus station in downtown Tucson one more time. I had this special umbrella. It had artsy drawings of hearts with smiles parachuting from the sky. The umbrella was chipper, joyful. I knew that it would take a special person to give that umbrella to, not just anyone. So I sat at the bus station, unsure who I was supposed to give the umbrella to. I prayed while I waited. Some time passed. I was nervous. Here I am - a small girl waiting at the downtown bus station late at night. Did I mention that I was all alone?

Anyway, finally this women comes and sits down across from me. She's different from the rest of the crowd who doesn't seem too happy about being out in the cold rain. This was a hispanic woman, probably in her late thirties or so. She was wearing crocs with socks. (Keep in mind it's raining.) Her gray sweatshirt has a picture of Grumpy from Snow White. She smiling while she sits. I smile back, refreshed that someone could be happy waiting to catch a bus in the rain. She struck up a conversation with me about what a rough night she had this evening. She said her partner had to be rushed to the hospital. She wanted to go meet her partner, but didn't know how to drive a stick-shift - her only means of transportation. So, she and her friend jump in this stick-shift Jeep and try to improvise. They ruin the Jeep, and have to find other means to get to the hospital.

The whole time she was telling me this story, she was cheerful, smiling even. She laughed as if she just knew that troubles were part of life. There was a joy there, worthy of a parachuting heart umbrella. I stood up and told her I wanted to give her that I had been waiting for a kind person to give the umbrella to. She smiled. I thanked her for being so very kind and friendly.

Every time that it rains, I remember stories like these. I remember the passion that I felt when I got in my car truly believing that God would send me someone to help. I just wanted one life to be touched, even if only by a small gesture like an umbrella.


No comments: