Monday, April 26, 2010

Miss Gina

For more Mother's Day blogs, visit this site.

As I kid, my sister and I would go to this church group every Wednesday night during the school year. It was called Girl's In Action (GAs as some of you might know it). My Mom was a leader for our group every year. We would go and learn about the lives of various missionaries, how they sacrificed and the really cool projects they implemented abroad. Because of this program, I gave my life to Christ at the age of 8, and my life to missions at the age of 9. Since then, I have had an obsession with living abroad, which should hopefully happen in the next year. But this blog is actually about my mother.

I think I can safely say that my mom was the favorite mom. The girls all called her "Miss Gina". I think it was because she was so silly. She made everyone laugh. They played games and told jokes. Sang ridiculous songs about fried ham for example. But at the same time that she was the fun one who would let us break the rules - put frogs in people's sleeping bags and stay up late - she was also silently living what Christ taught. She didn't have to be overt about what Jesus taught. She was living the essence of the fruit of the spirit - patience, gentleness, kindness, compassion, faithfulness, love, joy, self-control and so on (and I realize compassion isn't written, but it is implicit). I think it is my mother's humility and selflessness that I admire the most. It seems beyond my capacity to understand or imitate, though I try. She works so hard for everyone but herself. And I believe God will reward her generously in the end. But it is here and now that I am puzzled and inspired by the consistency.

Thank God for my mother who teaches me everyday, in the simplest of ways, how to walk in Christ.

No comments: